Monday, April 18, 2016

Tofu and Vegetables Thai Curry

Why hello, my love.
And when I say my love, I most definitely do mean this creamy, savory-sweet, Thai Green Curry that is rice’s best friend and its my idea of food heaven. 

I am usually not a savory morning person, okay? I want my toast and peanut butter or french toasts and I want it bad.
But this curry is honestly so good and so perfectly savory with just a teensy bit of sweet that this morning, when I was packing my hubby's lunch, I found myself scraping out the extra curry-coated rice from the bottom of the pan and spooning it all straight into my Mouth. And as I enjoyed a few bites of that cold, creamy thai curry, I had this thought: why am I not eating this curry for breakfast every single day? It’s so comforting, spicy-sweet-savory, soul-hugging, and it just generally puts me in a good mood about life.
Curry therapy. Curry morning therapy.
Obviously, to start, we'll make green curry paste at home. I know this will take sometime. But it will be ready when you want to make the curry next time and then the time after that. Yayyiiieeee!!
So if you make your own paste and have it on hand in advance, this Thai Green Chicken Curry recipe *almost* reaches the level of Five-Ingredient Easy, which, in and of itself, is worth the effort.
This is the best food gift you could give yourself. Make. You’ll love it. Please try it.
Tofu and Vegetables Thai Curry With Homemade Curry Paste
Duration
50 Mins
Preparation
20 Mins
Cooking
30 Mins
Yields
Serves 6

Ingredients
1 1/2 cup silken tofu
1 cup baby aspargus, cut in two pieces
1 x 400ml tin light coconut milk
1 organic chicken stock cube or 1 glass of homemade chicken stock
6 kaffir lime leaves
1/2 tsp palm sugar or regular sugar (if needed)
½ a bunch fresh Thai basil
1 lime
2 tbsp green curry paste
1 tbsp groundnut oil
For the Curry Paste (Make Ahead Paste - 8 - 10 servings):
1 small bunch of coriander
1/2 tbsp cumin
1 1/2 tbsp galangal
1/4 cup garlic
Kaffir Lime
2 stalks of lemongrass
1/2 tsp peppercorns
1/2 cup sliced shallots
1 tsp shrimp paste or 2 tbsp fish sauce
10-15 Green Thai Chili Peppers

Method
For Curry Paste:
To make the curry paste, peel, roughly chop and place the garlic, shallots and ginger into a food processor. Trim the lemongrass, remove the tough outer leaves, then finely chop and add to the processor. Trim and add the chillies along with the cumin and coriander with stalks. Peel the zest of Kaffir lime and add it to the processor. Blitz until finely chopped, add the fish sauce and Kaffir lime juice and blitz again. Store in the freezer.
For Tofu and Vegetables Thai Curry:
Drain the tofu on a kitchen towel and cut it into cubes of the size you prefer and place into a large pan on a medium heat with 1 tsp of oil. Fry for 1 -2  minutes, or until just turning golden, then transfer to a plate. 
Reduce the heat to medium-low and add remaining oil. Add premade or store bought Thai green paste for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour in the coconut milk and 400ml of boiling stock or water, if adding water then crumble in the stock cube. Turn the heat up and bring gently to the boil, then simmer for 10 minutes, or until reduced slightly.
Stir in the Tofu and asparagus and tear in the kaffir lime leaves and reduce the heat to low and cook for a further 5 minutes.
Season carefully to taste with sea salt, sugar (only if necessary) and freshly ground black pepper. Pick, roughly chop and stir through the basil leaves and remaining coriander leaves. Serve with lime wedges and steamed jasmine rice.




No comments:

Post a Comment